Saturday, October 27, 2007

Alternative Uses for Common Household Items

1. cup of tea = microwave cleaner
Heat one cup of tea in microwave until it boils over the top of the cup. This situation (obviously) creates so much moisture that whatever crud is stuck in the microwave loosens up, and can be simply wiped off with a paper towel. Ask me. I know.

2. knitting needle = whatever scratcher
I know that we all know about this one. I just wanted to add a warning. BE CAREFUL when sticking knitting needles in your ear. Really. Your ear drum will not thank you for what you inflict upon yourself when you get too vigorous in the old ear canal.

3. Lint = fire starter
Recycling lovers skip this one! If you use a burning barrel to dispose of old papers, boxes, small pieces of furniture, a mouse trap with dead mouse still attached, etc... Put trash in barrel. Take carefully treasured strips of lint accumulated from the dryer after this week's wash, and put in strategic places on and around said trash. Light the lint. It ignites wonderfully. This is my sure-fire method (pun intended) of getting the trash burned, even when it's sprinkling out.

4. Plastic grocery bags = trash can liners
?fiber? to knit or crochet (I've done it!)
emergency overnight bag
packing material for posting boxes
Rain bonnet...DON'T insert head in bag, just hold bag over top of head!

5. Dishwasher = washing machine
In a pinch, when you don't have time or money to go to the laundry, just throw those under-gotchers or pantyhose on the top rack of the dishwasher. Run the hottest cycle possible. When the dishwasher is done, take garments out. Wring out in sink. Hang up to dry. Tell yourself, "My clothes are clean. My clothes ARE clean. My clothes are CLEAN!"

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE:

Keys DO NOT = play toy

Please people, NEVER let your kids play with keys. Years ago, our family lost a little one because he was playing with keys, and stuck them in an electrical outlet.

Thank you

2 comments:

GRANNYJUDITH said...

Yep read it!

www.stepherz.com said...

Love this post-- it's a great one. I didn't know about the lint. I'll keep that in mind!